Monday 9 March 2015

The Big Reveal!

This has been a very long time coming, folks... we have finally finished our master bedroom en suite bathroom renovation!! (insert huge sigh of relief)

Before we get to the before and after pictures, let's start with a brief stroll down memory lane as to what Scott and I got ourselves into almost 2.5 years ago. If I were to sum it up in once sentence it would likely be something along the lines of this -- a less than beautiful house that needed a lot of blood, sweat and tears (literally) to be catapulted into this modern age and a state that we would no longer be embarrassed about.

That's right, my friends... 2.5 years of renovating. And while I wish I could say we are totally done now, that's still not the case. This summer we will be putting up a new fence and landscaping both the front and back yards. And at some point down the road, we also have another bathroom in the basement that needs some attention... but we have accomplished quite a bit!

I realize now that I didn't write a post for each completed renovation... just for a couple of them. So here is what we have accomplished so far (I apologize in advance, but this is about to become a very picture-heavy post!):

Upstairs Landing - before:


Upstairs Landing - after:


Master Bedroom - before:


 Master Bedroom - after:


Spare Bedroom (large) - before:


Spare Bedroom (large) - after:


Spare Bedroom (small) - before:


 Spare Bedroom (small) - after:


 Living Room - before:


 Living Room - after:


 Dining Room - before (action shot!!):


Dining Room - after:


Kitchen - before:


Kitchen - after:


Basement - before:


Basement - after:


 Garage Entrance - before:


Garage Entrance - after:


Main Bathroom - before:


Main Bathroom - after:


Outside - before:


Outside - after:



WOWZERS....

Lots has been done. But it has been a very long 2.5 years of doing it. I remember, back when we first started, how excited and pumped I was. I actually enjoyed doing some of the work. But at this point... I am sooooooo over it. And so is Scott.

And that, my friends, is why the tiniest room in the house has taken us 7 loooong months to complete. Yep... we started tearing apart the master bathroom in July of 2014. It is now March of 2015. That's actually kinda embarrassing. But the end result is still worth it, I love how it turned out.

First, let's start with the before pictures:


Look at how super hideous that color is. Hard to believe someone chose that for both the master bathroom and master bedroom. Funniest part... during the day, when the sun was shining through the window, you would walk by in the hallway and think the light was on it would reflect off that color so terribly.

Our original plan was to expand the shower so that little shelving area no longer existed and we could just have a nice big shower... but turns out the chimney for the old furnace (that no longer exists) is there, and it would take a lot more time and money to remove it. So we decided just to leave it the way it is. And you'll soon see I used this little area as a feature wall instead! 


These european style cabinets were EVERYWHERE in this house... all of the bathrooms and the kitchen. I hate them.


And the shower was just run-of-the-mill... nothing special.

But now... our master bathroom is a bright, modern, masculine part of our home that I can't wait for Scott to start enjoying so I can have my bathroom back to myself again! :) Although I fully intend to take advantage of the super nice shower.

DRUM ROLL......


TA DA!!

Now tell me that isn't 100 times better... I wouldn't believe you, even if you tried.

Scott is particularly in love with his counter top (which I would just like to mention, I pointed out to him even though we went shopping that day with every intention of it being Scott's choice, and me just along for the ride - what can I say, I have good taste in granite!).


And it's a nice leather finish, which I think makes it even more masculine since it isn't shiny and glossy.

And the shower turned out beautifully... although it didn't increase in size, it still looks so much better!


My favorite part? The wood feature wall...

This is something I've seen floating around on Pinterest quite a bit and I thought would be a great way to add some interest to that waste of space. When I first pitched the idea to Scott, he was not a fan... too much extra work, he said. He wanted to just paint that wall a different color. But after a bit of convincing, he came over to the dark side and grudgingly got on board.

I'll save the DIY story for another post, but I'm definitely happy with how it turned out.


We still have a bit of decorating to do in pretty much every room... the walls are very bare and are crying out for some art. Also not pictured in this post is my office... I'll have to get going on getting some pictures of that!

But overall, I'm thrilled with what we've accomplished in the last couple of years... and the fact that we're still together after living in a renovation for so long!! :)

So until next time...

D.


3 comments:

  1. Seeing the transition of how your home looks, before and after, makes it totally understandable that it took you 2.5 years long to finish the renovation. The new main bathroom really caught my attention. The darker shades of tiles made the new bathroom look much more elegant. You really did a great job. Thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best to you! :)

    Johnny Hernandez @ Ripple Systems

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your house on Instagram and am happy to find this blog - my husband and I are in a similar situation. But we've had the house 9 months so far and yet to have completed a single project. Sigh. These before and after photos are the inspiration I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing and I seriously love that exterior paint!

    ReplyDelete