Tuesday 2 December 2014

Apple Oatmeal Muffins

Uh oh, I'm getting behind on my posts! I had to choose between four different recipes for today's post... but not to worry, the rest will get their turn!

I love baking. Like, LOVE. I like to throw a little something together every weekend if I can. And last weekend was no different...


We had an over abundance of apples hanging out in the fridge and so I figured "muffins!". They are fast, easy, and don't make too much of a mess. And why not make them a bit healthier by throwing some oatmeal in there!? Although, to be fair, I don't think including oatmeal automatically makes a recipe healthy... but it sounds like it does, so that's all that matters!


Of course, I made a double batch (because I never make a single batch of anything) so I ended up with a pretty decent haul of muffins. 

My thoughts on this recipe... if I were to make it again I think I would use more apples and maybe a bit less cinnamon. 

The original recipe (found on... you guessed it, Pinterest) was actually for Cranberry Apple Oatmeal muffins. Maybe with the addition of an extra fruit I wouldn't feel the need for more apple? It's hard to say. But I didn't have any cranberries so I just tried to make it work.

If your'e interested in the original recipe, check out Celeb Baby Laundry's blog post.

Here is what I did:

Apple Oatmeal Muffins

2 cups of flour
1 cup oats
3/4 cup of sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 apples, chopped

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon).
3. In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, milk and butter. (Tip: melt the butter and then allow it to come to room temperature, otherwise mixing it with the cold eggs and milk will make it partially solidify again)
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Then stir in the chopped apples.
5. Spoon batter into lined muffin tin cups until about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes and cool on a wire rack.

Keep in mind... this is for a single batch. So obviously if you want more, just double all of the measurements!

Give it a try and let me know what you think. What would you do differently?

Coming up next... Steak Enchiladas!

So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment