Tuesday 25 March 2014

Cajun Chicken Pasta

As promised, we tried out another new recipe this weekend - Cajun Chicken Pasta.

It's something I came across a while ago, printed out and added to my own little cookbook. But you know how that goes... you forget you had it, or you came across more recipes afterwards that somehow made the way to the top of the list.



Couple of things...

I was maybe a little disappointed that it didn't look as mouth-watering as similar meals I've had at restaurants. But then again, let's be real, I'm not a professional chef that is capable of producing dishes like they do in restaurants.

Taste-wise, I found it to be very delicious. I was VERY generous with the cajun seasoning. The only other thought I had was that I wished it was a bit creamier. However, I already know there are 2 reasons why it wasn't:

a) The recipe is supposed to be a "skinny" version, so it calls for skim milk. I used 2%, because that's what we have hanging around, but I'm sure if you were dedicated to a full fat version you could use heavy cream and that would be super delicious!
b) We made an entire box of pasta and dumped it in there, which I think soaked up quite a bit of the sauce, but we really wanted leftovers! (Which, by the way, I had for lunch at work the next day and it was still pretty darn tasty!)

All-in-all, it was a good meal. As the SO said, we should have been making this way before now. It's a very warm, hearty, perfect-for-winter meal. It's also super quick to pull together and doesn't make too many dishes. That's always a bonus!

If you're interested in the recipe, here it is:


Cajun Chicken Pasta
1 box pasta of choice
3 chicken breasts, sliced
Cajun seasoning, to taste (I seasoned the chicken and the veggies with cajun)
Garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil (I used a little bit of butter)
1 red pepper
1 onion (I used white just because that's what I had, but any will do)
5 mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a blender (or bowl with hand-held mixer or whisk) make a slurry with the cream cheese, milk and flour. Set aside. Prepare pasta according to instructions.
2. Prep your vegetables, set aside.
3. Prep your chicken. Season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cajun seasoning and saute in a frying pan with olive oil or butter for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add prepared vegetables to same frying pan and cook on medium heat until they start to become tender. (Note: I also seasoned veggies with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little cajun seasoning).
5. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken broth and slurry and stir for about 2 minutes, or until it starts to thicken up.
6. Add the chicken back in and cook until hot.
7. Add prepared pasta to the skillet and stir to coat.

For the original recipe check out Skinnytaste's blog post. There are also lots of other great recipes you might want to try out!

Hope you enjoy!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment