Sunday 23 March 2014

Lemon Strawberry Bundt Cake

I'M ALIVE!!!!

Yikes, it has been a VERY long time since I posted... really failing on this whole blogging thing recently. On the bright side, that means I have lots to catch you up on! :)

Where to begin...


Well, my SO was lucky enough to get to go to Vegas for a company trip a couple of weeks ago. He then followed that up with a trip to Palm Springs to ride motorcycles with his dad, who lives down there with his wife for the winter. All-in-all, he was gone for 10 days. 10 days of glorious sunshine and nice weather, while I was stuck here in the cold, holding down the fort and babysitting Mya...

Can you tell I'm a bit bitter?

Nah, I'm glad he had fun and he needed the break. But I am a bit of a nervous nelly when it comes to being by myself now that I'm so used to having someone around all of the time. I didn't end up getting much sleep, and I was definitely lonely. Luckily, my mom and dad were always willing to take my phone calls!

I must also admit that, while my SO was away, I slipped back into my old eating habits... nothing but eggs and toast!! On the bright side, at least that isn't super unhealthy. But still, I just can't bring myself to make real food when it's just for me. #1 - I'm not a huge fan of leftovers. Typically I'll eat them for one meal and then if he doesn't eat the rest I'll end up throwing them out. And #2 - I'm just not motivated to put in all of the time and effort to make real food when it's just for me.

I did make one meal though...


Pesto pasta, gluten free polish sausage, and roasted carrots! I made this the very first night he was gone, and it was pretty delicious!

Now that he is back I am back to my normal self in the kitchen... this week we had BBQ'd pork chops, spaghetti and meatballs, steak and beets... we've been doing much better!

I even decided to get back to baking!


This is another of my Pinterest finds - Lemon Strawberry Bundt Cake. I've had the recipe pinned for a while, but I finally collected all of the necessary ingredients and gave it a shot!


This is also my second time baking with greek yogurt. I love how moist it makes the cake!

If you like lemon, you will love this! I am personally a pretty huge fan of lemony flavored cakes, tarts, etc. The batter tasted VERY lemony, but I think the cake came out a bit more subtle. My SO, on the other hand, who isn't in to lemon as much as I am, thought it tasted very lemony.


In any case, let me just say that this is delicious!!!

And can I also just point out that I am never patient enough what it comes to glazing! Yet again I did it before the cake was fully cooled and it just melted right into it... Oh well!

If you're interested in giving it a shot (which I would definitely recommend!) here is the recipe:



Lemon Strawberry Bundt Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp lemon juice, divided
Zest of 1 lemon
2 and 1/2 cups flour divided
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2/ tsp salt
1 cup greek yogurt
1 and 1/2 cups strawberries, diced
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine 2 and 1/4 cups of flour, the baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
3. In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add one egg at a time and mix well. Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and combine.
4. Alternate mixing in the flour mixture and the greek yogurt until fully combined.
5. Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup of flour (I used half fresh, half frozen strawberries). Mix in with the rest of the batter.
6. Pour batter into the bundt pan. Place in the oven and reduce temperature to 325F. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I had to bake mine for an hour and ten minutes)
7. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes in the pan, then flip upside down and cool completely.
8. Whisk together the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp of remaining lemon juice and glaze.

For the original recipe, check out A Spicy Perspective's blog post.

Tonight I will be trying out a new recipe for supper - Cajun Chicken Pasta. Stay tuned for the post!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment