Wednesday 16 April 2014

Confetti Donuts

Easter weekend is quickly approaching, and man is it going to be a busy one!

Friday morning my SO and I are headed to my parent's place to spend a couple of nights. Our hope on Saturday is to make a speedy trip to Edmonton for some shopping (new job = new clothes!!) and be back in time for the big feast my mother has planned! Then, on Sunday, we will head back to Saskatoon for brunch with the SO's side. Lots of driving, lots of eating!

In my last post I had mentioned that my mother had requested I make mini lasagnas for supper on Friday night. I think the majority of my family has had them now, except for one of my sisters and my grandmother. On top of that already super demanding request (I kid, I kid) my mother has also requested that I bring some baking. She left the choice as to what I bring up to me, but had mentioned she was hoping for something she hadn't had yet.

I threw around the idea of the Lemon Strawberry Bundt Cake I wrote about previously, but my SO wasn't the biggest fan because he isn't in love with lemon desserts like I am. Me, being the excellent girlfriend I am, decided to consider his likes and dislikes and so, vetoed that option.

I also seriously considered taking a second stab at the Chocolate Donuts, but thought I would try something totally brand new instead!

And so, enter Confetti Donuts!!


Look at how bright and colorful they are!! Makes me happy just looking at them.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how this came about... but for some reason, I thought of confetti cake (which my mom used to make for us for our birthdays) and figured... somebody, somewhere has to have put together a recipe for donuts.


Full credit goes to Sally over at Sally's Baking Addiction! I wouldn't have had the first idea how to create these otherwise... well, my idea would have been to just use the confetti cake batter, plop it in the donut pans and see what happened!! But this was much better.


Sally's recipe calls for glazing, but I'm more of an icing girl (plus, there is usually extra for me to just eat straight out of the bowl at the end!). SUPER upset with this photo... the icing is actually purple but it looks so grey and yucky here :( I guess that's what you get for baking after 8pm when there is no natural light.


Of course I had to taste-test... I can't possibly drag these things the 2 hours to my parents house just to have them be horrible!!! ;)

Overall, I'm rating these another success! Here's hoping my family agrees...

I made a double batch and got 18. But I've already had one and my SO is on his way back from hockey soooo... I think it's safe to say they aren't all making the trip. I have set aside 12 so... FHB! (For those of you who haven't grown up in a family of 7 people, that stands for Family Hold Back - limited number for all of us to share).

If you're interested in giving these a shot, here is the recipe:


Confetti Donuts
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 large egg
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and sugar. Set aside.
3. In a larger bowl, mix the milk, yogurt and egg together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Add the sprinkles and stir in gently with a spoon so they don't bleed color.
6. Spoon the batter into greased donut pans and bake for 8-9 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then finish cooling on a wire rack.

If you're interested in glazing, check out Sally's post (linked earlier in this post). If you'd prefer to ice, my mother's recipe is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 cups of icing sugar, 1 tbsp softened butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract and then add milk until you get the consistency you want.

Let me know what you think!

Until next time...

D.

1 comment: