Thursday 11 December 2014

Twix Square

I apologize in advance, but this is going to be a pretty picture heavy post my friends...

This past weekend I decided to be a super nice sister and invite my two brothers and their roommate over for supper. You know, it's that time of year where they are in finals and eating lots of takeout (although, who are we kidding... I think that's what they eat a lot of the time). But anyways, back to me being nice...  :)


After comparing schedules, Tuesday was the only night this week that would work so we set the date! For supper, I made my super delicious hamburgers (which my brother says rivals my mom's recipe so... you know they are damn good). And, because I know my brothers well and am super nice (noticing a theme here?) I also bought them two different kinds of chips to go along with the burgers.


Here they are enjoying their second helpings :)

Now, when it came to dessert, I gave them two different options:

Option 1 - pick any dessert item from my blog
Option 2 - a totally new recipe I hadn't made before, but was on the list to try

They decided to risk it and go for something brand new...


Probably a good choice, since this recipe involves a mouth-watering pot of homemade caramel. Drool!!

That, plus a layer of shortbread crust and another layer of chocolate... hmmm...

The suspense is kind of ruined by the fact that I gave away the answer in the title of this blog post... but I made Twix Square!!


A Twix bar in a square form... delicious! I mean, look at that caramel.


And how about that chocolate!? Straight-up melted chocolate chips. I may or may not have licked the spoon within an inch of its life afterwards...

After a bit of time in the fridge to finish setting, this was the finished product:


Now, at the misguided advice of Scott, I left this in the fridge until just before we started eating supper. The end result: it was quite a bit... more firm than I would have liked. Made for quite a few laughs when it came to trying to eat with a fork! But, all-in-all, it's quite a bit more enjoyable when it isn't quite as solid. In my opinion, anyways. Scott wants to put it in the freezer next time (crazy guy).


But despite all of that... look at all of the sweet, sweet, goodness! Seriously, it's pretty amazing.

But lord, you need a pretty intense sweet tooth for this bad boy!

If you're interested in giving it a try (and why wouldn't you be?), here is the recipe:


Twix Square

2/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1 and 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and flour and then cut in the 2/3 cup of butter with either a knife or a pastry cutter until the mixture has formed evenly-sized crumbs. (For me, this was more like the butter chunks were evenly sized, but there was still loose flour so, don't worry about having the whole thing be crumbs)
3. Press the mixture into a greased 9x9 pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden around the edges.
4. Remove from oven and let cool completely (I let the great outdoors assist with speeding this up).
5. In a pot over medium heat, stir together the 1/2 cup of butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Continue to stir constantly until the mixture comes to a light boil. Then continue to stir for another 5 minutes before removing from the heat. Then just keep right on stirring for another 2 minutes.
6. Pour the caramel mixture over the cooled shortbread crust and let it cool so it starts to firm up (I sped this up by putting it in the fridge - wow, I'm impatient!).
7. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and oil. Microwave for 1 minute, then remove to stir. Continue microwaving for 15 second intervals, removing to stir, until the chocolate is smooth and a bit more runny.
8. Pour the chocolate onto the caramel layer and let it cool (do I even need to mention I put this in the fridge again?).
9. Cut, serve, and enjoy!

Big thanks to Six Sisters' for the recipe, sourced through (you guessed it!) Pinterest!

I dare you to give this a try!

Coming up next... another something sweet... donuts!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment