Thursday 26 February 2015

Mini Lasagna

While I have shared pictures and posted about enjoying my delicious Mini Lasagnas, I have never actually posted the recipe. So today, I share with you one of my biggest successes (which I judge by the number of requests I get from Scott and/or other family members).

Mini Lasagnas!


I remember the first time I made these... it was shortly after Scott and I moved in together. Scott was working late and wouldn't be home until way after supper, so I figured that was the perfect night to try out a new recipe. That way, I could make as much of a mess as I wanted without hearing complaints from Scott (because, back then I would have made sure it was cleaned up before he got home) and if it didn't turn out well I could prepare something totally different for Scott to eat when he got home and he would never be the wiser :). Ahh, the early stages of a relationship when you're still trying to impress each other.


Luckily, they turned out amazing and Scott absolutely loved them! Since then, he requests these things on a regular basis and I now make a double batch (yep, 24 lasagnas for just 2 people) so that he can gorge on them for days. I've also made these to take to a family dinner at his mom's house, as well as for my family several times. Each time they've been a hit!

This recipe is totally customizable... when I make them for Scott and myself I make just a veggie version (which will be the recipe I share with you today). When I make them for my family I add some cooked and seasoned ground beef. Want different vegetables in there? Mix it up! Make them your own!

And I have it on good authority from a friend I've shared this recipe with previously that they also freeze well, and can be packed away for a later date. Ours have never made it that long to test out...


Mini Lasagnas

1 package of wonton wrappers
Pasta sauce of your choice (about 1/2 a jar - I add additional seasoning of garlic powder, oregano, hot sauce and red pepper flakes to mine)
Grated cheese
Cream cheese
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic (I use minced garlic)
1-2 zucchini
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 375F.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Once it becomes fragrant add the peppers, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms. Saute until tender.
3. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and press 2 wonton wrappers into each muffin cup. Add a small chunk of cream cheese to each.
4. Add a spoonful of the veggie mixture and then a spoonful of sauce. Top this with a little bit of grated cheese.
5. Press 1 or 2 additional wonton wrappers on to each, followed by another chunk of cream cheese, another spoonful of veggies and another spoonful of sauce.
6. Top with grated cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and you've reached your desired level of wonton crispiness.

This recipe will yield a single batch (12 lasagnas). If you want a double batch you will need 2 packages of wonton wrappers for sure, and then double the amount of sauce and all of the veggies. If you want meat in yours, simply add it in as one of the layers and make an appropriate amount of veggies to compliment. You're working with a muffin tin here so space is somewhat limited.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! What are some ingredients you would add?

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment