Monday 2 March 2015

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

Am I the only one that gets these random cravings for cake? It's not just a craving for dessert... ice cream just will not do in these instances! No, I specifically need to have cake. And, more often than not, chocolate cake.

During the summer this usually isn't so bad. If it's 8:00pm and the craving hits me I can usually convince Scott that we just absolutely have to go somewhere and get dessert (chocolate cake for me, whatever he wants for him - but we definitely aren't sharing!). But during the winter... he is a lot harder to convince. And I don't blame him... who wants to go back out into the freezing temperatures and blowing snow when we are already cozy at home? Unfortunately, that doesn't make the craving go away.


So I started doing some research into mug cakes. There are A LOT of different options out there, but it's hard to say from reading the ingredients which will actually taste good. I want cake, not brown chalk. I also figure making a single-serving dessert is likely a better option than making an entire cake, which I will then continue to eat for days.

I've tried a couple of different recipes and this one is by far my favorite so far (let's not be too hasty and stop experimenting here! There are mug cake recipes all over the place just begging to be made). And if you bake on a somewhat regular basis at all you should have all of these ingredients on hand.

So next time you want a single-serving dessert, and you want it fast, test this out and let me know what you think.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

1 egg
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
Small handful of chocolate chips

Directions:
1. In a small bowl (I use a cereal bowl), beat an egg.
2. Add the brown sugar and mix.
3. Add the flour, cocoa and baking powder and mix. (I find it helpful to use a whisk at this point rather than just a fork).
4. Add in the peanut butter and chocolate chips and mix so that it is just combined (some swirls of peanut butter that aren't mixed will make little peanut butter bursts in your cake that is just delicious!).
5. Transfer the batter to a mug that has been sprayed with cooking oil and cook in the microwave for one minute.

Enjoy!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment