Friday 6 March 2015

Smothered Steak Burrito

Scott and I are pretty big fans of Mexican food. In fact, if you're ever in the neighborhood I can give you the names of 2 really delicious restaurants! So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest I was fairly confident it would be something Scott would enjoy...



First of all, there is steak in it, so that's already a huge win for him. Second, this dish has the potential to be as spicy as you want it to be and Scott loves super spicy food. You may notice in some of the pictures my burritos don't look very "smothered"... that was me playing it on the safe side in case it was too spicy. That, plus I went a little overboard on the number of burritos I made so we could have leftovers which didn't leave a lot of sauce to smother them with.


These were equally delicious the next day when I took one in my lunch, so don't be afraid to make a little extra. And if you're a bit more adventurous in the spice department then I am, go to town on the chilies! For the original recipe (without my edits), check out this post by Creme de la Crumb.


Smothered Steak Burrito

2-3 steaks, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cans mild or medium enchilada sauce (I used one for fear of spice, but 2 would make it saucier)
2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
1 anaheim pepper, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 and 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cold water + 2 tbsp corn starch
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (I didn't use this originally, but would next time)
Grated cheese
Flour tortillas

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Saute steak cubes in a large pan over medium heat until tender but not cooked to desired pinkness yet.
3. Add enchilada sauce and next 6 ingredients (through to cumin) to the pan and continue to cook.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together water and corn starch and then add to pan and stir to help thicken the sauce. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add black beans and generous amount of beef mixture to the middle of each tortilla. Wrap up tightly and place seam-side-down on a greased baking tray. Top with additional sauce from the beef mixture and sprinkle with shredded cheese on top.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and tortilla has reached desired crispiness.

Enjoy!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment