Friday 24 January 2014

Breakfast Hash

It's Friday!! Yayyy!!

The weather is unseasonably warm today, the snow is melting, and it's Friday. I'm not seeing too many reasons to complain... except for the fact that my pretty, clean white car looks like it's well on its way back to another $12 car wash.

We have a busy weekend ahead of us!


Tonight we are heading over to the SO's mom's house for dinner. It's his step-dad's birthday, and sounds like the whole family will be making an appearance. Should be good!

Tomorrow night is my company's annual holiday formal (aka, Christmas party). Ya, I know, weird right? It's only a month after Christmas.. no big deal! This is actually when we have it every year, so I'm starting to get used to it, but it does seem terribly wrong to be celebrating Christmas at this time of year.

And then on Sunday... The Bachelor Wedding is on. Now, I have to confess, I have never been hugely into The Bachelor/ette shows. In fact, I don't even really know anything about these two who are getting married (Sean and Catherine?). But there are very few women at my place of work and all of them watch The Bachelor and so, in order to keep up with the Joneses, I have started watching. We are headed over to one lady's house for appies, wine, and girl-bonding time while watching what I'm sure is a very expensive wedding! The SO is thrilled for two reasons: I'm not using the better TV to watch this "crap", and the girls aren't coming over to our house. Boys (eye roll).

Before I sign off for the weekend I thought I would share one more of my experiences in the kitchen. You may recall that my mother was in town for a visit. By the end of the weekend I was struggling to come up with tasty gluten free ideas using what I had left in the house when I had a brainwave... a hash!


I've made this a couple of time for breakfast and also a couple of times for supper when I just wanted to use up a few things in the fridge. It's fast, easy, and delicious!

I wouldn't really say there is a 'recipe' - use whatever you have on hand! But for what I pictured here I used:

3 gluten free polish sausages (from Costco - they are delicious!)
1 yellow pepper
3-4 potatoes (this time I used yellow, but I've also used red)
1 cup butternut squash (you can buy pre-sliced - much easier!)
1/2 onion (This time I used red, but I've also used yellow)
3-4 mushrooms
3 eggs
salt and pepper
cajun seasoning
red chili flakes

The sausages I used aren't pre-cooked, so I started off by throwing the sausages, potatoes and butternut squash slices into a frying pan with a splash of olive oil on medium-high heat. Next time I would wait and add the squash later (they cooked faster than I was expecting). To help speed along the potatoes, cover the frying pan to trap the steam.

Once you start to notice the potatoes softening add the rest of the vegetables and season with the salt, pepper, cajun spice and chili flakes. Continue to cook down until your vegetable are as soft or crunchy as you like them. Once it's close to being done, fry up a couple of eggs to serve on top. I like mine pretty runny so that when you break them open the yolk oozes out to make almost a sauce over the rest of the plate.

And voila!


Personal choice - I like to put a little bit of cheese on top. Usually I do a much better job of melting it, but I was too busy trying to make sure everyone else dished theirs up before the eggs overcooked. We also eat it with sour cream and salsa.

What I listed here fed the 3 of us no problem! Keeping in mind, of course, that the SO eats enough for 2 people :)

It's pretty tasty, and like I said, quick and easy.

So give it a try and let me know what you think! Any other seasonings you would recommend to really kick it up a notch?

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment