Sunday 1 September 2013

Gluten Free - Day #1

Well folks, today marks day #1of my 30 day gluten free challenge! And let me tell you... challenge was definitely the right word for today!

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and was shocked at the amount of money I spent! However, I've been trying to make myself feel better by telling myself that going gluten free basically means starting over. I might as well not have any of that food in the pantry as most of it is now inedible.

I woke up this morning excited about trying new recipes and starting this new lifestyle. But I was also worried - what would I eat!? I experienced successes and failures in the kitchen today... doesn't help that I seem to be having one of those weekends where it doesn't really matter what I try to do in the kitchen, something will go wrong!

So what did I eat, you ask?


Breakfast
Fruit Salad

Lunch
Attempt #1 - Thai Crunch Salad
The fact that I prefaced that with "Attempt #1" should make it pretty obvious that this was a fail. I got this recipe online and thought it looked delicious! I followed the recipe perfectly for this first time to see how it went...



Let me clarify - it wasn't bad! But for the next time I will be making some changes. The recipe called to make the salad with nappa cabbage; next time I would make it with lettuce of some kind. I found the cabbage to be too bitter for me. Other than that... the recipe for the dressing was pretty delicious (picture the peanut sauce you get with Vietnamese rolls as a cold, salad dressing). 

Attempt #2 - Scrambled Eggs and Turkey Bacon

Supper
Slow Cooker Sesame Orange Chicken
I got this recipe from Danielle Walker's Against All Grain cookbook. This was a success! And I have lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.



So overall I think we can say it was a successful day. I didn't have any gluten so... what more can you ask for!? But it was definitely a challenge. I was out in the garage painting furniture for a couple of hours (stay tuned for tomorrow's post for pictures!) and all I wanted to do was come in for lunch and have a sandwich... something quick and easy! And for dessert (I have a pretty demanding sweet tooth)... there are wagon wheels in the pantry that are calling my name!

So I've decided that tomorrow will be a baking day. My Against All Grain cookbook has a recipe for gluten free bread that I'm going to try as well as lots of desserts so I should be able to find one that I have the ingredients for. We shall see how that goes!

I have my meals planned out (for the most part) for the rest of the week and I'm excited to see how it goes. Hope you are too!

So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment