Monday 27 January 2014

Blueberry Lemon Donuts

Well it appears as though I made it through the weekend! How about you?

Sometimes I wonder how I survived all of that partying we did back in university. We would go out two nights in a row and be perfectly fine, if not the next day, then at least the day after that. You'd make your way through another school week and do it all over again the next weekend!

Now, I got out two nights in a row and I'm wiped for the week. Completely useless. Ugh.

After a couple of late nights it was nice to hang out with a few of the girls I work with at our little mini potluck, gossiping and watching The Bachelor wedding. We had some excellent food!


I volunteered to bring dessert and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the donut baking sheet my siblings got me for Christmas!

After spending some quality time on Pinterest, I came across a recipe for Blueberry Lemon Glazed Donuts and thought I'd give it a whirl...


The prep work took no time at all... easy-peasy! What took the longest was getting the batter into the donut molds. The consistency and taste of the batter reminded me of pancakes... but thicker. After the first round I finally had a system figured out. I'm sure a piping bag would make this way easier but to be honest, now that I have a system, I think I'll just stick to that instead.


I also may need to invest in a second baking sheet, just to help speed things along. I gave them a good five minutes to cool each time so they wouldn't crumble as I tried to take them out. So all-in-all, it was a pretty time consuming endeavor.


I wasn't happy with how the glaze turned out, but I already have a strategy for how I'm going to make it work next time! I was able to get 18 donuts out of this recipe.

I was the first to try one and I was pleasantly surprised! They aren't like fried donuts... much more of a cake consistency. But pretty darn good if I say so myself! Next was my SO. He got home from hockey and quickly scarfed down two. Of course he never has an enthusiastic response to anything, but he said they were good. On my way out the door he stole another so that must say something...

They also seemed to go over fairly well with the ladies from work. Everyone had two!

Overall I would definitely make them again, with the changes to the glaze.

If you're interested in trying them out, here is the recipe (with my proposed changes to the glaze, so keep in mind that part is not yet tested):


Blueberry Lemon Donuts
DONUT:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted

BLUEBERRY JAM:
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat your over to 425F.
2. In a small saucepan over medium high heat mix blueberries, sugar and lemon juice. Mash blueberries until only a few remain whole. Heat and stir until boiling. Remove and let thicken.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large bowl, mix together greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, milk and melted butter.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
6. Add the batter to a greased donut baking sheet until molds are about 2/3 full.
7. Add a dollop of the blueberry jam on to each donut and use a knife to swirl around.
8. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool before removing and finish cooling on a wire rack.
9. In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle on the donuts, or dip them in the glaze and turn right side up to set.

I would highly recommend giving these a try! For the original recipe, check out Country Cleaver's blog post.

So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment