Saturday 8 February 2014

Chocolate Donuts

You know, with most of the house renovations done I find I have a lot less to blog about now! I mean, don't get me wrong, I am super excited to not be renovating all of the time, but now how will I keep my readers entertained??

I think I have finally figured it out... more baking, more cooking, more recipes!


This week for our suppers we went back to a few of our favorite recipes out of the ones I've tried recently. Unfortunately I failed on the picture taking side of things... I'm not very patient when it comes to food, especially if I'm really hungry, so this week you only get this one:


Spicy Tex Mex Meatballs (recipe courtesy of Urban Poser's blog, and I've also blogged about them before) with rice, sauteed mushrooms and a home-made sweet and sour sauce. Delicious!! Honestly, I wasn't kidding when I said before these meatballs would make it onto the rotation. We are having them close to once a week now.

But seeing as how I've blogged about those meatballs before I suppose that doesn't classify as new and exciting...

So today I broke out the donut baking sheets (I lucked out and found another one at our local Target!) to try my hand at Chocolate Donuts.


I found the batter to be much harder to work with than even the Blueberry Lemon donuts. It was just much stickier! And of course I stuck to doing it with my hands so... that made for a bit of a mess.


Ten minutes later these beauties made it out of the oven. At this point the SO tried one (despite my protests that they weren't yet finished!!) and he seemed to be happy with them. I held out until they were iced :)


The SO had requested chocolate icing, but I decided I wanted them to be a bit more colorful... so I broke out my mother's icing recipe, a little blue food coloring, and voila!

I have to say, they are pretty delicious! Again, very cakey, which I have zero problem with. The SO continues to maintain he had no problem eating them without the icing, but I definitely think they are better with it.

If you're interested in giving it a try, here is the recipe:



Chocolate Donuts
2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter, softened

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 325F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
4. Slowly add the dry to the wet and beat until well blended.
5. Add the batter to a greased donut baking sheet until the molds are almost full.
6. Bake donuts for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing, and finish cooling on a wire rack.

For the original recipe, and my source of inspiration, check out Shugary Sweets blog post. I ended up with 17 donuts from this recipe.

So go ahead, give it a try! And if you've managed to stumble across what looks to be a super delicious donut recipe, let me know! I'd love to try it out.

So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment