Thursday 10 October 2013

New Additions

D. and her SO are pleased to announce the arrival of a few new additions to their family...


Don't panic!!

They are just plants. :)

For reasons which I can't even begin to guess at, my SO has had an unhealthy obsession with cactus lately. He has been scouring Kijiji for the last month hoping someone would put theirs up for sale! We did check at a few greenhouses etc. but there weren't really any options in terms of purchasing a fully grown cactus, and of course, he doesn't have the patience to start from scratch.

I was sure his search would be fruitless, so you can bet I was surprised when, one day, while we are hanging out on the couch watching some TV he comes across an ad on Kijiji -- 3 cactus plants for sale! I encouraged him to call, but of course, that's "my job" (picture me rolling my eyes). The very next day I came home with our 3 new additions:


The funniest part of this whole story... when we had confirmed with the seller that we would pick them up the next day my SO says to me "I'm excited... what should we name them?". Yes, the man in the relationship came up with the idea of naming our plants.

I, however, ran with it and have narrowed it down to 3 names: Felix, Jose, and Lola. What do you think? Actually, it doesn't really matter what you think because I think they are cute cactus names! The only dilemma now is which one gets which name. Any suggestions from my loyal readers?

Typically I have a black thumb (the opposite of a green thumb, meaning I've killed almost every plant I've ever had, including bamboo!!) but the seller gave me the following instructions for caring for these beauties: in the winter water them every 6 weeks, in the summer water them ever 4 weeks. That's it! Now I feel like that is something we can manage!

On another note... for those of you that may actually know me you may be familiar with just how picky of an eater I was previously. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I have had made SOO much progress in this area. Case in point, for supper on Tuesday night I had my very first experience with brussel sprouts, both making and eating!

And for those of you who may not believe me, Exhibit A...


And now for my review of the vegetable with a terrible, terrible reputation... it was ok. It definitely will not be leaping up the list of my favorite vegetables, but I also didn't hate it. In other words, I would eat it again! And in fact, I'm excited to try a couple of different ideas I have to make it even better.

To close I will provide you with a quick update on my furniture adventures... my desk drawers require only one more coat of yellow paint to be complete!! And unfortunately my handles are still not here.

So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment