Friday 14 February 2014

Cajun Tomato Chicken

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

The day to celebrate love. I gotta be honest, I've never really been a fine of Valentine's Day. It is a cliche argument now, I suppose, but why should love only be celebrated on one day? Especially if it means ridiculously jacked up prices!


My SO is also not a believer in Valentine's Day, so I suppose it works out well. He was still a sweetheart, though, and had flowers delivered to me at work on Tuesday this week.


Aren't they pretty? And what girl doesn't like a spectacle being made about them when their boyfriend sends flowers!? I mean, yes, it's pretty embarrassing, but then the jealousy of all the other women kicks in and you feel pretty darn good about yourself!

Anyways, that's enough about that! On to the good stuff... food!

Over the Christmas break, when the SO and I made the trip to visit my parents for a couple of days, my mother made what turned out to be a super delicious chicken dish! So earlier this week, when my SO requested it, I decided to give it a try.

I introduce to you... Cajun Tomato Chicken. 


I am always really worried about trying to make dishes that my mother makes, because they never turn out exactly the same. And then I'm disappointed. This time was really no different...

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I was disappointed, it was still very delicious!! Just not quite the same as when we had it over Christmas. In any case, I think I know what I need to do differently next time (which is not take shortcuts and make the extra trip to ensure I have the exact same ingredients).

We had it with pasta this time, at my mom's we had it with rice... but you can pretty much pair it with whatever takes your fancy. If you're interested in giving it a try, here is the recipe:



Cajun Tomato Chicken
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we made 5)
1/2 onion, chopped
Cajun seasoning
Pure Organic Tomato Sauce (from Costco)
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. In a frying pan over medium heat, melt a little bit of butter and olive oil. Add the chopped onions and chicken and season heavily with cajun seasoning. Brown the chicken for about 7 minutes on each side.
2. In a bowl combine the can of tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, italian seasoning, thyme and salt and pepper.
3. Prepare a baking dish by pouring half of the sauce in the bottom. When chicken is browned, add to baking dish and cover with the remaining sauce.
4. Bake for 1 hour.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.


So until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment