Sunday 16 February 2014

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a HUGE pile of dishes calling my name, but I decided that I'd rather dive into another blog post. Those dishes will still be there when I'm done... unfortunately.

On Friday of this week I enjoyed having the day off. In an effort to stop myself from spending money I decided to stay home for the day. It was pretty relaxing... I read 3/4 of my book and got some baking done that was requested by my SO.


He LOVES cookies and has been requesting them for quite some time. I have never really considered myself to be much of a cookie person, but I have since discovered that if cookies are soft and cake-y in texture then I am all over them!

This week he went as far as specifically requesting oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. And so I set about finding a recipe that would also deliver the cake-y cookies that I would enjoy. Compromise!!


I found a recipe on Pinterest for Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies and adapted it by just swapping out the raisins for chocolate chips.


I also made a double batch, because, by now you should all know just how quickly my SO can eat his way through baking!

The first batch I made turned out super small. I thought they would spread out a bit more in the baking process. But lesson learned! Cake-y cookies don't flatten out, so pretty much whatever you put on the baking sheet is what you're going to get. From the second batch on the result was normal sized cookies. I'm a quick learner :)


Don't they look delicious? And as expected, my SO is going through them like wildfire.

As Friday was also Valentine's Day, I decided I would make my sweetie a special cookie of his own:


Pretty cliche, I know... but I thought it was pretty cute! And it got a smile out of him, so I guess that's what counts.

If you're interested in trying these out (which I strongly recommend), the original recipe can be found at Bake at 350's blog post. Here's what I made:


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
6 tbsp sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 cups flour

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate larger bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add in the oil, then the beaten egg. Finally, add in the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
4. Add the oats to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
5. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until all is mixed in well.
6. Add the chocolate chips.
7. Drop dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for about 9 minutes.

Keep in mind, what is listed here is for a single batch so I doubled everything and got just less than 6 batches of 12.

I've never been a huge fan of oatmeal cookies but I have to say, these are very good! Next time I won't wait quite so long when the SO requests them again.

So until next time...

D.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment