Wednesday 22 October 2014

Roasted Beet Pizza

We are still slowly, but surely working our way through the vegetables we have remaining from our farm share. While some haven't lasted too long (namely, carrots - my SO seems to be working his way through those pretty good) we still seem to have an over abundance of potatoes and beets taking up space in our cupboards and fridge. So when it came to making supper the other night, I decided I should probably try to use at least one of them... and I decided on beets!

Beets are something I have only recently (in the last year or two) acquired a taste for. Serve those gorgeous purple veggies sauteed, BBQ'd or roasted with a side of sour cream and I am in!! However, over the last week I have been trying to focus on eating a bit healthier so I decided to try something totally new and different - Roasted Beet Pizza!




It's quite likely that, at some point in my life, I came across this idea on Pinterest (that's where most of my ideas come from these days). But while my inspiration may have been borrowed at some point along the way, this throwing-together-of-ingredients came straight from my mind.



What you see here: roasted beets, sautéed mushrooms, goat cheese, mozzarella and arugula with a pesto sauce on a naan bread pizza crust! I also followed that up with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a little extra something.


I have to admit, it sounds like an odd combination. And I mean... beets, on pizza? Come on! But it was actually pretty delicious! I made one for each of us, and I ended up eating just barely over half of mine.

I was pretty worried about what my SO would think. Especially because I'm an excellent girlfriend and always have supper ready for when he walks in the door so he doesn't usually know what I'm making until it is placed in front of him. But he ate it all up with no complaints, and finished what I didn't eat as well. So obviously he was able to choke it down quite nicely, as my father would say.

Think you might want to give it a try? Here is a breakdown:


Roasted Beet Pizza

Naan Bread (picked mine up at Safeway in the bread department)
2-3 beets
5-6 mushrooms (I used crimini)
1 tbsp pesto sauce
1 tbsp goat cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella
salt and pepper
arugula (optional)
Drizzle of balsamic (optional)

Directions:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400F. Peel and thinly slice your beets, then lay them out on a greased cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, sauté your mushrooms in a small frying pan with butter and season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread the pesto sauce on the naan bread, then top with the roasted beets and sautéed mushrooms. Crumble goat cheese on top, then add a bit of shredded mozzarella.
4. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the naan bread has crisped up a bit and the cheese is melted.
5. Top with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and serve!

Hope you enjoy!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment