Thursday 16 October 2014

Thai Curry Meatballs with Kohlrabi & Carrot Latkes

Well folks, today you're getting two recipes for the price of one! How sweet is that!?

I tested out two new creations this evening and they both turned out pretty successful, so I decided to share. Tonight, we dined on Thai Curry Meatballs with Brown Rice and Kohlrabi & Carrot Latkes!




I realized afterwards, looking back at this picture, that the plate looks pretty one-note in regards to color... could've used a little green. My bad! But what is most important is that it tasted pretty darn good if I do say so myself!

So let's break it down...

For the meatballs, I went back to my now classic meatball recipe, with one minor change (no cheese) in them. Unfortunately, these ones also don't have cilantro in them because what I had in the fridge... let's just say it wasn't in top shape. Next time I need to ensure what I have is usable because I much prefer these meatballs with cilantro.

For the kohlrabi and carrot latkes... our farm share this summer provided us with an abundance of kohlrabi and I had no idea what to do with it. So I did a little googling and decided to try it out in latke form. Bonus that the recipe I stumbled upon also included carrots, because I have quite a few of those hanging around right now too!

For those of you that don't know what kohlrabi is, here is a picture our borrowed from our friends over at Wikipedia:


An interesting looking thing, isn't it? Apparently it can be eaten in a lot of different ways, including raw!

The Thai curry sauce was a recipe I came across on Pinterest, originally posted on ifoodreal's blog (read the post here).

What did the SO think? (I'm sure you're wondering because we all know I always share his opinion on here...) He enjoyed it! He would've preferred it to be a bit spicier, but then I wouldn't be able to eat it, and since I'm the one making it......

If you're interested in trying it out, you can find the meatball recipe here. For the rest, keep reading!



Thai Curry Meatballs with Kohlrabi & Carrot Latkes

Thai Curry Sauce:
1 and 1/2 cups coconut milk, light (canned)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp red curry paste (I didn't have any so I used red curry powder)
1 tsp fish sauce
red chilli flakes (to taste)
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a small saucepan, whisk together all of the ingredients.
2. Place on the stove on low-medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Once your meatballs are baked (as per recipe, link above) pour sauce over meatballs and serve.

Kohlrabi & Carrot Latkes
1 kohlrabi
1-2 carrots
1 egg
2-3 tbsp flour
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Using a paring knife, remove the outside layer of the kohlrabi. Using a cheese grater, grate the kohlrabi and put in a small bowl.
2. Peel and grate 1-2 carrots (should be equal amount carrot to kohlrabi). Add to small bowl.
3. Add and egg and stir together. Add salt and pepper.
4. Add flour until you are able to form little patties (doesn't have to be anything special, just enough so that they stick together).
5. Pour olive oil into a skillet so that the bottom is completely covered. Heat over medium for a couple of minutes. Then, add your latkes to the pan. Cook on the first side for a few minutes (until it's nice and golden and crispy) then flip and repeat. Serve immediately.

Let me know what you think!

Until next time...

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment